Saturday, March 16, 2013

Review of The Deepest Night

The Deepest Night (The Sweetest Dark, #2)The Deepest Night by Shana Abe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was admittedly very excited to receive the e-copy of this so soon after reading the first one. I approached The Deepest Night with some hesitation, however, because I wasn't sure how Abe was going to pull off the Amrmand-Lora love that was destined to happen. They are both drakon, after all, and with all the other drakon books that creates an instant attraction. But as the book opens, it's clear Lora is still dealing with Jesse's death, and I didn't want to see her overcome that too easily either.

I would say Abe did a pretty good job of handling it all. Lora wasn't entirely prostrate with grief the way I thought she should be, but some time had passed since the last book, and she did have Armand to keep her company, after all. Her true love is gone, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for more love on the horizon (and perhaps a more possible love).

The tone of this story is fast-paced and full of action, much like the end of the last book, only less rushed. SO be prepared for more war, soldiers, bullets, and brief glimpses into the darker side of human nature. We even visit an asylum, which frankly, gave me the creeps. But also definitely made me feel for Lora even more.

If you're a fan of Armand, you're going to enjoy this book--A LOT. If you're anxious to learn more about Lora's past, you will be rewarded with a few small tidbits. And when you're done, you're really, really going to want to know more about not only her origins, but what happened to the rest of the drakon as well.


This ARC copy of The Deepest Night was given to me by NetGalley & Random House - Bantam Dell.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment